Tuesday 4 December 2012

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow



I am going to cut to the chase and say it.... my hair is falling out. How shit. Baby Dude is four months old now and laughing and growing and couldn't be happier or healthier, I however am LOSING my bloody hair. Again.
Postpartum hair loss really is Mother Nature's cruellest trick. The first time round started exactly the same time at twelve weeks post birth, and I think I must have blanked out how awful it is. There are hairs everywhere. My hair is very long at the moment, partly due to the fact I'm too scared to have it cut and therefore purposely getting rid of it, so it is even more noticeable. Every time I brush my hair huge masses come out in the brush, and when I wash my hair it falls out so unbelievably I can't believe I'm not bald. Well actually the sides by my temple are nearly there. I'm not quite as concerned as the first time it happened because I know it stops, and grows back, and know I don't actually have alopecia, but it still hurts none the less.
You are meant to keep washing, colouring, heat and styling to a minimum so as not to increase the hair loss. The baby centre.com even advises "now is a good time to go for a short cut. Plus, a short, wash-and-go hairstyle can be easier to take care of when you have a new baby in the house and you're strapped for time." which personally I think is ridiculous, surely advising you adopt a frumpy "mummy style" and changing your hair dramatically will make you feel worse?? Mummies can have long hair you know.
I can't wait for the next phase when it starts growing back, which granted is equally as hideous, as a short fringe appears framing the whole face, yuck. Most of my mummy friends have the tell tale shorter layers underneath their hair after months of regrowth but it doesn't happen to everyone, so don't fret. Anyway, I have a beautiful baby to show for it so must not grumble, just count down till I can book a super duper cut and colour as soon as possible.

If you do want more info on postpartum hair loss see the baby centre here. But remember, it does stop, and grow back, and you forget about it pretty quick.

If you have any hair tips do let me know!

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, I had the same problem... My baby is nearly 8 month and I stopped loosing hair only two month ago. It was nightmare, I had more falling out hair than my dog! What did I do about it? Nothing special really.Oh did something different than normal - used baby shampoo to wash my hair, but not sure if it made my hair stop falling out .... Don`t cut your hair, you`ve got beautiful hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Funnily enough I have been using baby shampoo too! It's probably the softest thing I can use xxx

      Delete
  2. I remember this from Seb and i'm waiting for it to start again. I have alot of really thick hair and it just gets everywhere. I hope it passes quickly for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel your pain! i had really thick hair during pregnancy then it seemed to leave me bold once it dropped out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 times I went through that - I cried every time! It is horrid. For some reason it was worse on the right side than the left.....but it does keep growing at the same time it is falling out , just remember that! And don't you dare cut it! I didnt and wouldnt ! What terrible advice! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its worse on my left side! super depressing xx

      Delete