Tuesday 2 October 2012

Book of the Week - Anna Karenina



OK so this post is a bit of a cheat as I haven't actually read Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy's epic Russian novel yet, but who could with a two month old baby? I did however sneak a night out at to the cinema with a friend to watch the new Keira Knigtley/ Jude Law adaptation, and boy am I glad I did. It is one of the most beautiful films I have seen for a while, and although writer Academy Award winner Tom Stoppard, could have gone down the classic Dr. Zhivago style route which I was expecting, he instead created a bold, theatrical new vision of the epic story of love set in a fantasy theatre world. It sounds strange and it does take a little getting used to, but I have been thinking about it for days and am desperate to see it again. Keira Knightley is a beautiful as ever (her diamonds are unbelievable) and Jude Law is fantastic as her hugely unattractive husband Karenin. Matthew Macfadyen also plays a brilliantly comic Oblonsky (Anna's brother) one of my favourite characters.
Apparently though the film only represents 150 of the 800 page strong classic, and you can tell lots has been missed out but this only makes me want to read the book more. 

Have you read Anna Karenina or any other Russian classics?











No comments:

Post a Comment