Friday 12 October 2012

Recipe of the Week - Luscious Lemon Drizzle



Ok so I haven't posted a cake recipe for what seems like ages as I'm really trying to be good and shift the last few baby pounds, so of course haven't been baking as much as it's normally left to me to eat 95% of anything I make, oh the joys of living with a "professional athlete". Anyway I must have been complaining of a lack of treats and sweetness, (I can't cope without cake) so my darling husband baked me a beautiful Lemon Drizzle Cake. And not just any old cake, a gooey lemony delight of a cake. It is best warm out of the oven with a huge dollop of silky smooth creme fraiche, but I can also cope with it cold.

This recipe is one of Tana Ramsays, and the batter seems a little dry but once the cake is baked the syrup is poured over it, intensifying the flavour and moistness.

Ingredients
225g Caster sugar
225g unsalted butter
4 eggs
Finely grated zest of one lemon
225g Self-raising flour

1 1/2 lemons
85g caster sugar

Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in 225g flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.

Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.

2 comments:

  1. i have never tried any lemon cake, but this one seems doesnt take too much time and effort to make...gonna try it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind! I was just about to post a lemon drizzle cake on my blog (I'm eating it as I type -It's so delish with a cup of tea) I like to leave the drizzle part out and either make a runny lemony icing or serve with lemony flavoured whipped cream, mmm...
    Love your blog, by the way.

    xxx
    earthtomum.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete