Friday 29 June 2012

Recipe of the Week - Courgette Polpette


This recipe is taken from my favourite baby food book of all time River Cottage Baby & Toddler Cookbook (review coming soon). I love courgettes, I think they are hugely underused and delicious (I am utterly obsessed with Carluccio's Penne Giardiniera, a courgette pasta with chilli, parmesan and deep fried courgette balls). Anyway these are delicious little bites of cheesy-courgettey heaven, the recipe is super easy and makes plenty, well enough left over from mummy & daddy's dinner for the next day anyway. They are a great veggie option for BBQ dinner guests.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
500g/3 large courgettes, finely diced
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 generous tbsp grated Parmesan
1/2 ball buffalo mozzarella, diced
50g breadcrumbs
1tbsp chopped parsley
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

Method
Preheat the oven to 200C.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the courgettes for 10 minutes till golden brown. Set aside to cool while you measure out/prepare all the other veg. Then combine the courgette with all the other ingredients until you have a sticky gloopy mixture. Season, I just used pepper.
Take walnut sized blobs of mixture and roll into approximately 12 balls. Place on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until golden.

They really are that easy to make, kids can help too (prepared to get messy) and are yummy served hot or cold. Can also be frozen uncooked.

3 comments:

  1. We make these often, they're very tasty aren't they! I love the book too, I've recently 'my daddy cooks' cookbook which is worth a look too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'll defo have a look, thanks for the tip! Xxx

      Delete
  2. This looks great, thanks for the idea. I found you via At Home with Mrs M's linky party. I have linked in a post about beef stroganoff.
    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete